General Gun Discussion > Gunsmiths Corner

Glock Cleaning / etc

<< < (2/3) > >>

Moosie:
TechGeek,

Check out this pic...  simplifies the lubrication points.  

I don't clean after every range trip, but none of my firearms are ever neglected or gunked to the point of being in danger of not operating properly. I can't tell you how often I clean mine because there are too many variables : cheaper ammo in my experience is dirtier, some range trips I fire a low number, sometimes a high number. If I'm the last one to clean it, it probably goes longer without cleaning than if someone else has because I dont know what they used to clean, lube, etc.  It also depends on what environment I was in when shooting..  if it got muddy or wet, it gets cleaned quicker than not.  

I've recently been turned on to a product called Fire Clean.  (http://www.cleanergun.com/. absolutely love it. I have a friend in FL who tests various rifles and has one that has more than 28,000 rounds through it with no break down cleaning..  that is he's applied Fire Clean sparingly and it still fires just fine. I also have friends who use carb cleaner (found at automotive stores).  I have a silicone rag that I wipe everything down with when I'm finished cleaning.

Bottom line, you need to find what works for you. The more you clean, the more you'll realize what you need to do every time and what you're simply duplicating.

Happy shooting and cleaning!

Moosie

Moosie:
TG,

OOPS!  Sorry, just saw that NL posted the same pic.  It's a total of 4 drops.. 2 on each side.

Moosie

Newlife503:

--- Quote from: TechGeek on October 14, 2013, 04:26:58 PM ---
--- Quote from: Newlife503 on October 14, 2013, 03:55:38 PM ---I clean after every use, I clean all of mine first make sure it is not loaded, then field strip, then I use hoppes on patches through the barrel followed by clean dry patches until the come back out clean and dry.  I don't use any kind of brushes on the barrel for two reasons 1 I've from a ton of people this could damage the barrel 2. If I do it after every firing it isn't necessary, I then use Q tips (no solvent) to clean the slide and lower.  This has worked fine for me for 10 years.  As far as oil I use rem oil on the spots seen on the attached photo.

--- End quote ---

NL-

Thanks for the info....I bought one of those hoppes bore snakes thinking it would make cleaning a little easier and so far as I can tell it does.  Right now I am just spraying it lightly with a little cleaner and can clean without disassembling completely.

I am however confused what to oil when I do completely take it apart and was hoping to find an online video or something explaining what Glock says to do (like what is in the pic you submitted below).  I was trying to make heads or tails out of the pic you attached and getting a little confused?  For instance, it says the lubrication oil is noted in "yellow" and says 4 drops for the slide but the both sides are covered in yellow....?  I guess you oil the sides of the slide completely or something?  I think this is where a video would be more beneficial for me...I am a little slow:)

--- End quote ---

Forget the slide, what you can do is put a drop of oil on the 4 points on the lower that go into the slide rails.  If you do this and reassemble the firearm and rack the slide a few times it will transfer the oil to the slide rails for you. Hope that helps.

TechGeek:

--- Quote from: Moosie on October 14, 2013, 04:47:14 PM ---TG,

OOPS!  Sorry, just saw that NL posted the same pic.  It's a total of 4 drops.. 2 on each side.

Moosie

--- End quote ---

NP...thanks for your assistance and feedback on how often to clean firearms.  I think your right when you say there are to many variables for everyone to follow the same cleaning routine:)

TechGeek:

--- Quote from: Newlife503 on October 14, 2013, 04:57:57 PM ---
--- Quote from: TechGeek on October 14, 2013, 04:26:58 PM ---
--- Quote from: Newlife503 on October 14, 2013, 03:55:38 PM ---I clean after every use, I clean all of mine first make sure it is not loaded, then field strip, then I use hoppes on patches through the barrel followed by clean dry patches until the come back out clean and dry.  I don't use any kind of brushes on the barrel for two reasons 1 I've from a ton of people this could damage the barrel 2. If I do it after every firing it isn't necessary, I then use Q tips (no solvent) to clean the slide and lower.  This has worked fine for me for 10 years.  As far as oil I use rem oil on the spots seen on the attached photo.

--- End quote ---

NL-

Thanks for the info....I bought one of those hoppes bore snakes thinking it would make cleaning a little easier and so far as I can tell it does.  Right now I am just spraying it lightly with a little cleaner and can clean without disassembling completely.

I am however confused what to oil when I do completely take it apart and was hoping to find an online video or something explaining what Glock says to do (like what is in the pic you submitted below).  I was trying to make heads or tails out of the pic you attached and getting a little confused?  For instance, it says the lubrication oil is noted in "yellow" and says 4 drops for the slide but the both sides are covered in yellow....?  I guess you oil the sides of the slide completely or something?  I think this is where a video would be more beneficial for me...I am a little slow:)

--- End quote ---

Forget the slide, what you can do is put a drop of oil on the 4 points on the lower that go into the slide rails.  If you do this and reassemble the firearm and rack the slide a few times it will transfer the oil to the slide rails for you. Hope that helps.

--- End quote ---

NL-

I assume when you say 4 pts on the lower you mean the arrows below:

Other than that, what about in the Glock Lubrication Guide the top two pics?  What am I looking at here?  Everything else I think I am good...

Also, what does everyone use for cleaning and lubrication?  I've heard good things about Break Free and Frog Lube..?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version