Firearms and Equipment Reviews > Firearms Review

M&P Shield 9mm

(1/4) > >>

Schmenge:
I picked up my new M&P Shield from Chris at Federal on Monday night. (Thanks for the great price Chris!) I just got back from the range and put 110 rounds thru it.

First 50 were 124 ball at 1050 fps. Benchrest at 5 yards. Hey, I wanted to see where it would shoot. The first shot went dead center thru the red dot. The next 4 were within an inch. Point of aim was 6 o'clock. Very nice. Next 5 were 10 yards, same point of aim. All 10 ring or very close 9 ring. I finished that box of 50 off hand and shot better with this pistol than I did with full size pistols.

Second 50 were 124 JHP at 1050fps. Pretty much the same results.

Then I fired 10 rounds of Critical Defense. Point of aim matched point of impact at 10 yards. Am I happy or what?!

I did have 3 malfunctions. Two failure to lock open on the last round (one reload and one Critical defense. Not sure if the same mag.) I also had one failure to extract with a reload. The rim was intact. Not sure what happened there.

Anyway, I'm not real concerned about the malfunctions yet. I want to get 3 or 4 hundred rounds thru it.

Federal Firearm:
nice range report..appreciate you stopping over.

seniorgeek:
Your M&P will work better after a couple of cleaning and a good oiling. It made a big difference for me.
I keep it oiled well. Much smoother operation.

Schmenge:
The recoil spring is STIFF! It's harder to rack than my XDm45, at least it was on day one.

I've been racking it and leaving the slide locked back at night and it seems to be loosening up a bit. I do keep it well oiled.

I received my night sights (TruGlo tritium) from Amazon yesterday ($66) and called a gunsmith to install them. I didn't hear back from him so I did something I probably shouldn't have done, I installed them myself tonight. I got lucky. They turned out perfectly, no scratches on the slide or sights, centered perfectly, look great. Now if they don't come flying off on the first shot.................................

Anyway, I wouldn't say I'd recommend self installation for everyone, but maybe I'll try my XDm next. Then again, maybe not.

seniorgeek:
I also installed the TruGlo tritium sites, except I took shield to the gunsmith to have it done.
I am very pleased with the sites. Nice addition to a well made firearm.

--- Quote from: Schmenge on July 10, 2014, 01:11:02 AM ---I've been racking it and leaving the slide locked back at night and it seems to be loosening up a bit. I do keep it well oiled.

--- End quote ---

I also left the slide locked back for a few days when it was new and it did make racking easier.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version