General Gun Discussion > Rifles and Shotguns

Short Barrel Rifle

<< < (2/2)

GunEnvy:
Rabbit, check around but I'm pretty sure you can build a pistol reciever any length just not the other way around. Just like putting a carbine kit on a 1911 or a glock. That will save you the cost of the BATF tax stamp. 

turfmn:

--- Quote from: GunEnvy on September 03, 2009, 10:58:44 PM ---Rabbit, check around but I'm pretty sure you can build a pistol reciever any length just not the other way around. Just like putting a carbine kit on a 1911 or a glock. That will save you the cost of the BATF tax stamp. 

--- End quote ---

I don't believe that is true. Anything that has a rifled barrel and you can shoulder has to have a 16" barrel or it is a SBR. Look at the semi-auto PPSH43. In pistol form, it has a factory length barrel, but the stock is welded closed. In carbine form the barrel is extended and the stock can be unfolded. Same with the KP44, and the CZ Scorpion. The Finnish Suomi and the Russian PPSH41 both have thier barrels extended to 16". You also can't install a shoulder stock on a Broomhandle Mauser or a 1911 even though the Broomhandle is designed to use a removable shoulder stock. There used to be a kit that replaced the mainspring housing on a 1911 and let you slide a shoulder stock on a 1911. The carbine kit your talking about has a 16" barrel.

GunEnvy:
Ill be the first to admit that I know very little about surplus imports but does the ATF put extra restrictions on imports? Look at the Ruger charger, 10in barrel and it is a rifle reciever. Also the Thompson Center handguns can be had with many different barrel lengths both shorter and longer than 16 inches.

GunEnvy:
Ps...I just reread rabbits post, I had read it backwards, thought he did not want shoulder fired.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version