Classified > Scam warning area

IRS scam

<< < (5/5)

topper:

--- Quote from: SturmRugerSR9 on October 07, 2016, 10:56:57 PM ---Some times just for s**ts and giggles, when I know the caller is a scam, I answer the phone stating the name of a phony Law Firm. They hang up quick.

--- End quote ---

I like that. I'll use it.

SturmRugerSR9:
I understand that there is another IRS scam going around now. Be aware of the fact that the IRS does not call people. they contact people by mail on official letterhead documents and envelopes. So any call from someone purporting too be IRS is a scam.

I also get a lot of calls from (302)-335-xxxx , usually at a rate of 2-5 times a day. I assume they are either scams or people in that exchange are to brilliant to dial a phone correctly.

oldgraygeek:

--- Quote from: SturmRugerSR9 on February 23, 2019, 12:14:29 PM ---I understand that there is another IRS scam going around now. Be aware of the fact that the IRS does not call people. they contact people by mail on official letterhead documents and envelopes. So any call from someone purporting too be IRS is a scam.

I also get a lot of calls from (302)-335-xxxx , usually at a rate of 2-5 times a day. I assume they are either scams or people in that exchange are to brilliant to dial a phone correctly.

--- End quote ---

Many scammers spoof Caller ID with a number in the same exchange as their intended victim, hoping you will think it's from the local area and pick up the call.
The only cure for this will be to make spoofing Caller ID a federal felony, but that will never happen because there's too much money in it...

SturmRugerSR9:
I have another cure. We never answer the landline phone. All of our calls go to answering machines and services. So most of them just hang up, and the ones that don't just get deleted. People we know will get call backs when we get time.
As far as cell phones, we each have one that is about 15-18 years old, and we don't text, or have voice mail. It works like this. If we want to make a call we just dial the number. If we get a call, we have all our friends and family programmed in so it shows who's calling. If we don't recognize the caller, well, you know what they say. Oh well, sucks to be you.

muleman88:
I know someone that bought smart phones (not expensive ) and if you don’t have the number programmed in the phone the caller has to hit a number to get through . The spoof and robo callers do not get through that way . So it drastically cuts down on phone calls.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version