General Gun Discussion > Gunsmiths Corner

What Modifications do We Make to Carry Guns?

<< < (2/3) > >>

MarcWinkman:

--- Quote from: Radnor on October 30, 2018, 12:03:26 PM ---
--- Quote from: MarcWinkman on October 29, 2018, 08:32:14 PM ---FNX is a mighty big CCW gun. 

--- End quote ---

Big gun what?!?  15+1 of .45....  ;D

The public is CLUELESS never see it.  Too interested in their phones.

Back to topic....
You dont think they would TRY to introduce "he put in a hair trigger just to kill that poor church going boy?"

--- End quote ---

Not at all.  Prosecutors are pretty non-gun savvy and the fellow that was previously processing firearm evidence was just convicted of theft and fired from DSP.  The only testing that is done is to test fire for function/matching rifling and tool marks.  They don't bother even putting a pistol on a trigger scale.  You have to keep in mind, there are those out there that carry custom built 1911's from the likes of Wilson Combat, Nighthawk Custom, Ed Brown, Heirloom Precision, etc. that have factory triggers down around the 3.5 lb. range and if they had to use said gun in a defensive shooting, they're not going to be on the hook for having an SAO pistol with a super light trigger.  Heck, I tried carrying my Wilson Combat CQB and CQB compact at times, but pretty quickly gave up on it as both have ambi thumb safeties and I would occasionally find that they were swept off during the course of my normal activities, most probably on days where I was in the car for an extended period of time. 

oldgraygeek:
I ran this past my High-End Defense Attorney several years ago. I explained the common trope about modifying carry guns, and my concern that my 10mm Glock 29 might be considered excessively powerful as a defensive firearm.
He asked, as if I were on the stand, "Why do you carry that particular weapon?"
"Because I trained with it, and I shoot it well."
"No further questions."

Of course, your lawyer might not be as good as mine... if (s)he isn't, find a better one!

MarcWinkman:

--- Quote from: oldgraygeek on October 30, 2018, 01:26:10 PM ---I ran this past my High-End Defense Attorney several years ago. I explained the common trope about modifying carry guns, and my concern that my 10mm Glock 29 might be considered excessively powerful as a defensive firearm.
He asked, as if I were on the stand, "Why do you carry that particular weapon?"
"Because I trained with it, and I shoot it well."
"No further questions."

Of course, your lawyer might not be as good as mine... if (s)he isn't, find a better one!

--- End quote ---

That's good for line of questioning in the event that you're charged with any form of malfeasance.  Actively working in the criminal defense area I can say that if you find yourself in a court room on the witness stand, either it was a bad SD shoot, or you're being civilly sued for wrongful death, in which case your best bet is to make sure that your attorney knows to object to any questions pertaining to the weapon used on grounds of it not being relevant to whether or not you acted in self defense. 

Now for the obligatory disclaimer:  Yes, I am a lawyer.  No, I am not YOUR lawyer...unless you've retained me for a consultation, in which case I am for limited purpose. 

Cbmarine:
IIRC, Don West had to counter the prosecutor’s assertion that George Zimmerman was trigger-happy (or similar epithet) because he carried one in the chamber.

SturmRugerSR9:
Guess I'm "trigger happy" too. I have carried 1 in the chamber for years and years. Have had people tell me I shouldn't. But I say if they don't want to, it's up to them. But I have not intention of being unchambered. The time it takes to draw, chamber a round, aim and shoot, could make the difference between life and death. I opt for the extra seconds to be in my favor, if push comes to shove, so to speak.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version