Author Topic: Christiana Hospital Emergency Room  (Read 7216 times)

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
Christiana Hospital Emergency Room
« on: March 08, 2009, 02:16:15 PM »
For whatever it’s worth, their Emergency Room entrance has a little “no concealed weapons” sticker on the doors.  The entrances to the main hospital does not have stickers, though.  Of course, they can only ask you to leave, so…  You do have another option – which may or may not be your cup of tea.  The sticker refers to “concealed weapons”, meaning that if you are willing to switch to the open-carry club – you are complying with their wishes, but will still probably wind up on the asked-to-leave list.  No biggie, since your car’s probably parked right outside the door.  Just lock it up in the trunk.

It is my understanding the reason for the no-carry rule is that emotions run high in the ER.  People come in messed up from fights and accidents, people die, and all kinds of other bad stuff.  This explanation makes a lot of sense, given the above-statement regarding the main entrances.
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
Re: Christiana Hospital Emergency Room
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 06:44:16 PM »

It is my understanding the reason for the no-carry rule is that emotions run high in the ER.  People come in messed up from fights and accidents, people die, and all kinds of other bad stuff.  This explanation makes a lot of sense, given the above-statement regarding the main entrances.
Isn't this one of the reason law abiding people choose to carry a concealed handgun? So that they don't become a victim
Honey I swear I've had that gun for years!

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 08:19:58 PM »
CorBon, Please don't take this wrong but if a sign says "No Concealed Weapons" going to "open carry" is not the ticket in the door its just going to make it that much easier to say please leave. As far as Christiana ER you will never make through the Triage Doors with a gun on your side. I understand Christiana Cares Policy on this since there have been serious incidents in the past in the Hallways of the ER. Its so bad there that they had to go from a wide open welcoming atmosphere to when you walk in you are confined to a 20x20 room with 3" lexan glass between you and the staff and magna-lock doors. I think this is one of those places where before its over your going to end up having to go through a metal detector to be seen or to visit family. I don't know if people realize just how high tensions get with family members of victims of assaults be it a shooting, stabbing, ect.
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 08:39:16 PM »
CorBon, Please don't take this wrong but if a sign says "No Concealed Weapons" going to "open carry" is not the ticket in the door its just going to make it that much easier to say please leave.
Well, that’s pretty much why I do the concealed-carry thing.  Although the open-carry folks are pretty vocal about their right to open-carry, a good portion of them have had to discuss their right to open-carry with various security and/or LEO personnel.  So, while I wouldn’t personally look to the open-carry solution – it’s another tool in the bag to use.  Just a thought…
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 09:05:05 PM »
I understand that the open carry folks are fighting hard for their rights, but I would hope that if there are signs posted "No Concealed Weapons" that they would use good judgement and not attempt to open carry at these location. IMO by trying to carry open when a place has a sign stating "No Concealed Weapons" all this is going to do is give the entire gun community a bad name in the eyes of the people who Own and work at the Business by pushing the issue when you know you will not win. Not every body is gun friendly and it is our decision to leave our gun in the car or at home and patronize these place, or to continue to carry our gun and to not offer places like these our business. When it comes to the ER we have to grin and bear it. If we disagree with a places policy I think it serves us better to attempt to contact them in writing and explain our stance in a professional and mature manner, will it work in changing their minds probably not, but at the very least it may make them realize that their policy could cost them customers and in today's economy that can make or break a business.
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 11:26:38 PM »
Christiana Hospital is completely against anything that is considered in the "PC" world unhealthy. When my son was born I went outside to smoke a cigarette after something like hour 6 and was told I couldn't smoke. I know it's a smoke free campus but for smokers there may be no more of a tension place to be than a hospital. My smoke isn't wafting up through the sealed windows into the room of a patient. It's the same kind of thing.
Honey I swear I've had that gun for years!