Author Topic: Nano anyone?  (Read 7076 times)

CMF

Nano anyone?
« on: February 09, 2012, 04:11:41 PM »
I wonder how they chose “Nano” for a name on this possible pocket pistol; could it be for the Italian actress Agnese Nano or reference to Apples iPod… Not likely, but I am intrigued with this latest product form Beretta. I occasionally carry the Lilliputian Ruger LCP380 in a (aholster.com) kydex pocket holster when attire dictates however, I am wary of the 380 for defense. I have been searching for a 9 that would fit subtly into my daily Carhartt cargo pants which have ample room in the front pockets, not thigh pocket. The design of the Nano has features which make it an ideal fit; trigger and brain safety, slide racking only, at least 2 finger grip, striker fired, single stack thin, and a composite frame. The price is reasonable and my other 2 choices are LC9 (not prefer that long trigger pull like my LCP, safety, slide release) or the #2 candidate: Kahr CM9 (cost, slide release). Has anybody in Delaware laid their hands on or fired one to give an opinion? Keep in mind I am looking for a pocket nine, not OWB or IWB unit.
I did find this thorough write on one:  http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/7100002072

CMF

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that
one useless man is a shame,
two is a law firm and
three or more is a congress.-- John Adams

Moosie

• Life Member
Re: Nano anyone?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 04:29:37 PM »
My understanding is that it's because it's so small.  They're stating it's a "micro pocket carry pistol". 

http://www.berettausa.com/products/nano/

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

rusirius

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 07:00:07 PM »
I'll throw this out there for you... and it's only my personal opinion, so take it as that...

I don't have any direct experience with this model... But I've never laid my hands on a a Beretta handgun that I actually liked...

On the other hand, I do personally own a Ruger LC9... Again, I can't compare the two, having never shot the nano, but I can tell you I really like the LC9 for what it is (i.e. a pocket pistol).  It is a tiny hair larger than the nano, but just barely... On the other hand the LC9 actually has a longer barrel.  The LC9 holds 1 extra round and is about 1/2 ounce lighter.  I can throw my LC9 in my front or back jeans pocket without any problems, let alone a pair of cargo pants or a jacket pocket!

BTW... Regarding trigger pull... The LC9 is DAO, so it has a long trigger pull like your LCP380 does... but the Beretta is also DAO, so it's going to be the same way, and with the extra trigger safety it might even be worse! 

Still, don't get wrapped up in the trigger pull... I know heading out to the range it might seem like a big deal... But remember in the situation these types of guns were designed for, they last thing you'll ever remember is the trigger pull... ;)

CMF

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 07:13:08 PM »
rusirius I was already for the LC9 until I read about the Nano. Agreed, when the sheet hits the fan, there is no thought to trigger pull! Plus the LC9 sure feels sweet in the hand. I am waiting for Hickok45 to compare the Nano with the LC9 / PM9 youtube he did.
CMF
two is a law firm and

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 09:17:49 PM »
In the science field, nano is generally used for anything smaller than 1 micron.
For reference, 1000 microns per millimeter. A human hair is 40 micron in diameter. So really small stuff. Carbon nanotubes have been the buzz for awhile.
If the pistol was nano, concealment would be easy. Finding it...not so much.
New Castle County

rusirius

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 03:10:08 AM »
rusirius I was already for the LC9 until I read about the Nano. Agreed, when the sheet hits the fan, there is no thought to trigger pull! Plus the LC9 sure feels sweet in the hand. I am waiting for Hickok45 to compare the Nano with the LC9 / PM9 youtube he did.
CMF

yeah, for a compact it really does handle great.  I'm almost as accurate with it as I am with my full size M&P.  I've done a lot of work to the trigger on the M&P so I'm sure that accounts for most of the difference.  I still keep it about 5 1/2 lbs since I do carry it quite a bit, but it's smooth as butter... I haven't even looked at the trigger in the LC9 much to see how much I could improve it.  Frankly it's already very smooth, it's just the weight and length of pull really, so I really haven't got motivated enough to try.

If you do end up going with the nano though, fill us in.  I'd love to see what you think of it compared to the LC9.

Schmenge

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 07:41:13 PM »
You might want to take a look at the Taurus PT 709. Some people are afraid of Taurus, but I have one and it's been a great little pocket pistol. I have about 500 rounds through it with no issues.
Schmenge
NRA Patron Member

Bogey

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 06:25:59 PM »
Well the Nano,I picked one up late Jan. put 3000 rnd. down range trying to find the best ammo for it.i had about 15 to 20 FTE. with 115gr ammo.So i sent it back to Beretta and they replace the extractor on it,I just got it back and put 500 down range with no problem.It really is a nice weapon.
The things you see when you don't have a gun.....

CMF

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 12:28:07 AM »
Thanks for the response. Did you use the same brand ammo after you got it back to run the 500 through? How do you carry it if you do carry it?
CMF
two is a law firm and

Bogey

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 11:44:40 PM »
Yes i did run different ammo through it ,100 WWB 115,50 AE 115, 50 AE 124,100 Federal Champions 115,100 PMC 115,50 Horn. personal def. and 50 Fed. hydro shocks 135.With no problems. I'm still waiting for my ccdw permit.Filed 2-14-12 NCC. I thinks it gonna be a loooong wait.
The things you see when you don't have a gun.....

Capnball

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 02:07:10 AM »
Having a personal preference for a revolver myself but, I am curious - Do you find the trigger pull on the LC9 to be too heavy for a small frame auto?
Some of the DA autos I've tried recently have had trigger pulls that would rival any DA revolver. Another noticed item is that the more recently made the model both Auto and revolver the heavier, the trigger pull. I suppose we could chalk that up to attorneys.