Author Topic: Cosomolene?  (Read 5723 times)

TwistedKarma

• Administrator
  • Life Member
Cosomolene?
« on: April 21, 2013, 10:12:17 AM »
  Is this the best way to remove .  ::)

[attachment deleted by admin]
Just trying to survive in the second Great Deprssion.

Moosie

• Life Member
Re: Cosomolene?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 05:00:52 PM »
honestly....  take the parts to your local car wash, put a few coins in and blast it off. 

OR...  get several cold adult beverages, make sure the kids are out of ear shot - you will start at some point to scream obscenities - and get out some break free, mineral spirits, or some simple green...   then, put a lot of elbow grease into it.  Oh, and clear your calendar for the whole day LOL

I have two rifles that are covered in cosmoline.  Currently they're in my bedroom closet.  There is nothing better than the smell of waking up to cosmoline! :D 

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
New Castle County

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 05:57:23 PM »
Oops...
New Castle County

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 03:10:54 AM »
If you have $850 to spend, get one of these: http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/professional-cleaning-systems/gun-cleaning-tanks/pw-26-parts-washer-sku112026000-1705-6217.aspx

Congratulations, you have located the only two firearms related items in-stock at an online retailer! 
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

Schmenge

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 01:26:06 PM »
Someone told me WD-40 works well, but I've never had the opportunity to try it. It's worth a shot. You probably already have some.
Schmenge
NRA Patron Member

Schmenge

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 01:26:44 PM »
I'd be interested to hear if it works, if you give it a try.
Schmenge
NRA Patron Member

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 02:04:56 PM »
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor, CRSO
Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In The Home,
Personal Protection Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety,
and Reloading

Also offer Delaware CCDW training.  PM me for details.

TwistedKarma

• Administrator
  • Life Member
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 02:16:51 PM »
After seeing cosmo is vaselene based i will not post any further.
Just trying to survive in the second Great Deprssion.

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 04:28:23 PM »
Lol yeah something most people don't know.

I disassembled my rifles, placed all the parts in a settub, covered with hot water and poured about 4 cups Simple Green in. Let it overnight. Turn on hot water while draining the old cold, and let sit for a few minutes again. Removed each piece while running under hot water and then sprayed them with WD-40 and placing them on a cloth. Completely cleaned of the stuff. Note I also complete broke down the bolt.. Not just removed it.

This took all the cosmolene off. It was painless and the Simple Green did all the work overnight. The WD-40 is basically to displace most of the water not really to protect the parts. I then clean, polish and then lub and protect them with Fluid Film... Or whatever you wish to use.

anjdrifter

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2013, 10:13:06 PM »
Here is omething I made a long time ago and I posted on another site I belong to. it works for me. it is about the sixth post down on the thread

http://www.p64resource.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2184&hilit=homemade+oven+stovepipe
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 10:15:04 PM by anjdrifter »
Sussex county, NRA certified instructor -pistol-rifle- shotgun ,doj approved instructor