Author Topic: Glock Cleaning / etc  (Read 13312 times)

TechGeek

Glock Cleaning / etc
« on: October 14, 2013, 02:40:44 PM »
All-

I was curious to see if there were any Glock folks out there that might be able to assist me in the breakdown / cleaning (specifically what is needed to be cleaned / lubed) etc for my Glock pistols?  I am a new handgun owner but have owned long guns (shotguns, etc) in the past.

I just wanted to be sure I am taking the necessary precautions to be sure my firearm is cleaned correctly...especially when you are using it for a CC and may need it to save your life one day!

I have hear a lot of things around the net, friends, etc about what to do and what not to do..but honestly I am getting confused.

Here are some things I feel pretty confident about right now:

1.  Some people completely clean (break down) after every range / etc visit and some people just do a quick bore clean with a "bore snake" etc and wait to do a "full" cleaning / break down after several rounds through the firearm.

2.  I know I should use some sort of cleaning agent for the bore residue and then also some sort of lube agent for some parts and pieces on the frame (just not sure which ones exactly).  Also, that you should not lube the spring, just wipe it down.

3.  I've read about a lot of good products:  Some people use the old standy (RemOil, Hoppes #9, etc) and some people use some high tech stuff of today (Militec, Break Free CLP-2, Tetra Gun Grease, Frog Lube, Ballistol, etc)

I've watched a few youtube videos but again it seems as though everyone has their own opinions of what you need to clean and what you don't.  I was just hoping to get some sort of consensus or whatever on what people on here that own Glocks do and don't do?

Thanks...hope I explained everything correctly:)
Kent County

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
Re: Glock Cleaning / etc
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 03:33:52 PM »
@TechGeek, check out http://www.glockforum.com. There are multiple threads on Glock cleaning and lube. Ultrasonic cleaning and a drop of oil is one. Check HappySniper1 posts.
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

TechGeek

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 03:45:26 PM »
@TechGeek, check out http://www.glockforum.com. There are multiple threads on Glock cleaning and lube. Ultrasonic cleaning and a drop of oil is one. Check HappySniper1 posts.

Will do...thx for the heads up :)
Kent County

Newlife503

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 03:55:38 PM »
I clean after every use, I clean all of mine first make sure it is not loaded, then field strip, then I use hoppes on patches through the barrel followed by clean dry patches until the come back out clean and dry.  I don't use any kind of brushes on the barrel for two reasons 1 I've from a ton of people this could damage the barrel 2. If I do it after every firing it isn't necessary, I then use Q tips (no solvent) to clean the slide and lower.  This has worked fine for me for 10 years.  As far as oil I use rem oil on the spots seen on the attached photo.

[attachment deleted by admin]
NRA Life Member
DSSA Member
DE,PA,FL,UT,AZ,NH CC Permits
New Castle County

TechGeek

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 04:26:58 PM »
I clean after every use, I clean all of mine first make sure it is not loaded, then field strip, then I use hoppes on patches through the barrel followed by clean dry patches until the come back out clean and dry.  I don't use any kind of brushes on the barrel for two reasons 1 I've from a ton of people this could damage the barrel 2. If I do it after every firing it isn't necessary, I then use Q tips (no solvent) to clean the slide and lower.  This has worked fine for me for 10 years.  As far as oil I use rem oil on the spots seen on the attached photo.

NL-

Thanks for the info....I bought one of those hoppes bore snakes thinking it would make cleaning a little easier and so far as I can tell it does.  Right now I am just spraying it lightly with a little cleaner and can clean without disassembling completely.

I am however confused what to oil when I do completely take it apart and was hoping to find an online video or something explaining what Glock says to do (like what is in the pic you submitted below).  I was trying to make heads or tails out of the pic you attached and getting a little confused?  For instance, it says the lubrication oil is noted in "yellow" and says 4 drops for the slide but the both sides are covered in yellow....?  I guess you oil the sides of the slide completely or something?  I think this is where a video would be more beneficial for me...I am a little slow:)
Kent County

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 04:45:15 PM »
TechGeek,

Check out this pic...  simplifies the lubrication points.  

I don't clean after every range trip, but none of my firearms are ever neglected or gunked to the point of being in danger of not operating properly. I can't tell you how often I clean mine because there are too many variables : cheaper ammo in my experience is dirtier, some range trips I fire a low number, sometimes a high number. If I'm the last one to clean it, it probably goes longer without cleaning than if someone else has because I dont know what they used to clean, lube, etc.  It also depends on what environment I was in when shooting..  if it got muddy or wet, it gets cleaned quicker than not.  

I've recently been turned on to a product called Fire Clean.  (http://www.cleanergun.com/. absolutely love it. I have a friend in FL who tests various rifles and has one that has more than 28,000 rounds through it with no break down cleaning..  that is he's applied Fire Clean sparingly and it still fires just fine. I also have friends who use carb cleaner (found at automotive stores).  I have a silicone rag that I wipe everything down with when I'm finished cleaning.

Bottom line, you need to find what works for you. The more you clean, the more you'll realize what you need to do every time and what you're simply duplicating.

Happy shooting and cleaning!

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 04:47:14 PM »
TG,

OOPS!  Sorry, just saw that NL posted the same pic.  It's a total of 4 drops.. 2 on each side.

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Newlife503

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 04:57:57 PM »
I clean after every use, I clean all of mine first make sure it is not loaded, then field strip, then I use hoppes on patches through the barrel followed by clean dry patches until the come back out clean and dry.  I don't use any kind of brushes on the barrel for two reasons 1 I've from a ton of people this could damage the barrel 2. If I do it after every firing it isn't necessary, I then use Q tips (no solvent) to clean the slide and lower.  This has worked fine for me for 10 years.  As far as oil I use rem oil on the spots seen on the attached photo.

NL-

Thanks for the info....I bought one of those hoppes bore snakes thinking it would make cleaning a little easier and so far as I can tell it does.  Right now I am just spraying it lightly with a little cleaner and can clean without disassembling completely.

I am however confused what to oil when I do completely take it apart and was hoping to find an online video or something explaining what Glock says to do (like what is in the pic you submitted below).  I was trying to make heads or tails out of the pic you attached and getting a little confused?  For instance, it says the lubrication oil is noted in "yellow" and says 4 drops for the slide but the both sides are covered in yellow....?  I guess you oil the sides of the slide completely or something?  I think this is where a video would be more beneficial for me...I am a little slow:)

Forget the slide, what you can do is put a drop of oil on the 4 points on the lower that go into the slide rails.  If you do this and reassemble the firearm and rack the slide a few times it will transfer the oil to the slide rails for you. Hope that helps.
NRA Life Member
DSSA Member
DE,PA,FL,UT,AZ,NH CC Permits
New Castle County

TechGeek

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 06:08:20 PM »
TG,

OOPS!  Sorry, just saw that NL posted the same pic.  It's a total of 4 drops.. 2 on each side.

Moosie

NP...thanks for your assistance and feedback on how often to clean firearms.  I think your right when you say there are to many variables for everyone to follow the same cleaning routine:)
Kent County

TechGeek

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 06:12:37 PM »

NL-

Forget the slide, what you can do is put a drop of oil on the 4 points on the lower that go into the slide rails.  If you do this and reassemble the firearm and rack the slide a few times it will transfer the oil to the slide rails for you. Hope that helps.

NL-

I assume when you say 4 pts on the lower you mean the arrows below:

Other than that, what about in the Glock Lubrication Guide the top two pics?  What am I looking at here?  Everything else I think I am good...

Also, what does everyone use for cleaning and lubrication?  I've heard good things about Break Free and Frog Lube..?
Kent County

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 09:47:55 PM »
Depending on which firearm I'm cleaning, I use a bore snake and fire clean. Every firearm I have gets lightly wiped down with a silicone rag after each time it's shot unless it's muddy. If it's muddy, it's allowed to dry, dry brushed clean, and then thoroughly cleaned. Patches are good, but a pain in the rear.  I avoid them when I can.

Moosie

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2013, 10:32:42 AM »
Firearm Cleaning .. it's such a personal thing. Everyone seems to have their own little way and their favorite products. :) I know people who do complete tear downs every time they shoot, including disassembling the mags. I know others who lightly wipe them down now and then. It also depends on the type of firearm to a point. Does a firearm need to be cleaned every time its fired.. no. The cleaning is a by product of good maintenance in which I mean after shooting its good to inspect the firearm for damage. While breaking it down for inspection you may as well clean it also.

My Walther PPQ carry gets an inspection & cleaning after each use without fail. Not because I think the dirt will cause an issue if ever needed but because I want to inspect the internals for any damage or excessive parts wear. Since its apart I do a full cleaning anyways. Aside from 1 handgun, they all get inspected & cleaned each time.

I have a CZ 75 BD Police pistol that has been cleaned once when I brought it home. Did a quick inspection and cleaning and have since fired almost 2500 rounds through it without a single issue. It is dirty as heck but goes bang every time the trigger is pulled. It does get inspected for safety reasons but I've decided I'm never going to actually clean it. The only thing it does get is a bore snake pulled through the barrel at about 1000 rounds.

I have a large bottle of Hoppe's No 9 Bore Cleaner that's my main cleaner. I have a can of CLP I've used now and then but rarely. Cant say there is a reason for or against it. I use a product called Fluid Film for lubrication and corrosion protection. I use 2 Bore Snakes for each caliber. One is used with the Hoppe's to clean the barrel while the other gets pulled through with the Fluid Film. Any other metal part gets the FF applied as well then wiped off. Microfiber rags and Q-Tips. It leaves a film to lub and protect. Have a bottle of Hoppe's oil also but don't remember the last time I used it as the FF works great. I don't like 'wet' firearms.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 10:34:36 AM by Adrenolin »