Author Topic: Tactical Lights/Laser Sights - Good Idea?  (Read 5299 times)

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
Tactical Lights/Laser Sights - Good Idea?
« on: April 23, 2009, 01:08:09 AM »
I am thinking about getting either a tactical light or laser sights, maybe both, for my Glock 21 (.45 ACP).  This is my primary home defense weapon. I have heard both good and bad reasons for both. The most frequent for not using these is the same arugment we had in the military for not liking tracer rounds.  They work both ways.  What do you guys think and do any of you have recommendations for either?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 09:59:20 AM by Sigarms12 »

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
Re: Tactical Lights/Laser Sights - Good Idea?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 03:20:10 AM »
I am thinking about getting either a tactical light or laser sights, maybe both, for my Glock 21 (.45 ACP).  This is my primary home defense weapon. I have heard both good and bad reasons for both. The most frequent for not using these is the same arugment we had in the military for not liking tracer rounds.  They work both ways.  What do you guys think and do any of you have recommendations for either?
For lasers, LaserMax makes some – stuff.  If you have a rail on that thing, and it’s not your carry weapon, then they have a slip-on unit.  If it’s your carry piece, then they make an internal laser that replaces the guide rod.  In my opinion, the possibly rough environment of a carry weapon makes the external units somewhat susceptible to getting knocked out of alignment.  The guide rod deal is better for that – but it’s still not like in the movies.  They also just started making a grip laser, but not for the 21.  Of course, that goes back to the problems with external mounts.

Overall, these things are smaller and brighter than ever before.  In fact, the green ones are like wielding a light saber!  The ones from the ‘90s – you @@@@ near needed to carry around a car battery.  I have one that is literally bigger than my KelTec!  Not bright, and sucks down batteries.
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

gun nut

• Life Member
  • this is my rifle and here is a pistol....
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 04:56:42 PM »
The only thing with lights is they work both ways like tracers.
You need one bright enough to blind your target then get your shot off.
As far as lasers go they are cool and they really do not give you position away.
Gun control is hitting your target

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 07:07:41 PM »
You need one bright enough to blind your target then get your shot off.

Good point. I had not heard that before. This is why I asked you guys.

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

gun nut

• Life Member
  • this is my rifle and here is a pistol....
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 10:13:28 PM »
Hawkeye what did you go with?
Gun control is hitting your target

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 03:43:01 AM »
The only draw back I see to a weapon mounted light is that the only way to see something is by pointing your gun at it. At 2am and there's a bump in the night will you shine that light onto something and flich when somebody is looking back at you only to find out too late that it was a loved one. For me I prefer the small hand helf lights. The size still allows me to use a support hand when firing and I can shine them wherever I like while still keeping my gun pointed in a safe spot.
Honey I swear I've had that gun for years!

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 01:19:44 PM »
Another thing to keep in mind with weapons mounted flash lights in order to illuminate some thing you have to point your weapon at it. Out in public this can constitute menacing and get you in a lot of trouble. Weapons mounted lights are great as a back up but your primary should be a hand held light.
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 02:43:20 PM »
Ended up with both. Got an all in one unit.  It is on my Glock 21SF so it not my carry weapon. 

Sussex County