Author Topic: Heritage, Ruger and Billy the Kid 8 Shot... Halloween fun!  (Read 3658 times)

Adrenolin

• Life Member
Heritage, Ruger and Billy the Kid 8 Shot... Halloween fun!
« on: November 07, 2013, 04:04:46 AM »
My 3 year old son wanted to be a cowboy for Halloween this year. Since Daddy takes him Trick or Treating I had to also dress up to match.. see where this is going? ;)

Enter a trip over to Federal Firearms where I picked up a new Heritage Arms Rough Rider single action in .22LR. Found a .22Mag cylinder online for cheap and ordered a nice leather holster for it to boot. Add a nice shemagh scarf, a full length oilskin drover coat, a hat and 2 weeks facial scruff and boom instant cowboy.

My son was done up to match though he got the Sheriff's badge and I was the dirty cohort he brought in. :) We had some great laughs taking a ton of photos in the backyard. We even got dressed up again this afternoon for more pictures hehe.

The Rough Rider (RR22B4) needed some front sight adjustments and still needs a file to shave a bit off the top however it shoots true at 5 yards as seen below. Fixed rear sights but the front can be gently bent L/R and filed down if needed. Was told they are high purposely and right in the manual says that it should be filed if needed. It has a 4 3/4" barrel, Blue finish, Cocobolo grips and shoots .22 everything with both cylinders.

'We' also have a new LCP 380, thanks again to Chris, that unfortunately I've yet been able to fire. Hope to make an early range trip in the AM but getting ready for a trip sooner then I was expecting. Wife said she'd be happy to test it out for me while away however. :) I did tear it down, gave it a good cleaning then proceeded to watch a movie while racking and dry firing it about 400 times. The top slide was extremely tight however after 400 imaginary rounds through it the slide racks back smoothly and requires a bit less force. Tear down and cleaned it again adding some light lub.

For any parents, grandparents looking for a child's pistol that isn't one of those hideous orange things checkout the Billy the Kid 8 Shot Cap Gun. Chris didn't have any of these in stock unfortunately. tsk tsk ;) My 3 year old son is a bit tall for his age and he loves this thing. It has a decent weight and is sized perfectly for him and should do well for kids upwards of 7 or 8 even. This was his first cap gun and the look on his face when he pulled the trigger was of priceless excitement.

Some pics .. enjoy!

Here is the setup. Halloween was the early Christmas this year :)

At 5 yards shooting .22 shorts freehand

Here is the Sheriff and his bounty  :D We have a ton of fun!

Moosie

• Life Member
Re: Heritage, Ruger and Billy the Kid 8 Shot... Halloween fun!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 04:41:11 PM »
How awesome and how cute!!!   

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

seniorgeek

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 11:05:22 PM »
Awesome Halloween costume. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NRA Member
Combat Veteran
Southeastern Sussex County

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 03:05:26 PM »
Thanks  :D Lots of fun comments on our outfits that night and 2 people even stopped us asking if they could take a quick photo.