Author Topic: warned of IRS scam  (Read 59932 times)

jstgsn

• Guns have only two enemies: rust and politicians.
warned of IRS scam
« on: January 19, 2014, 06:51:04 PM »
They send an official looking IRS email advising you of overpayments.  They offer to repay you by applying the money to your credit card.  just click here.   

Adrenolin

• Life Member
Re: warned of IRS scam
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 07:56:52 PM »
Missing the link...

Our neighbors got home from a couple months in India a few weeks ago. They are on their mid 70s. He hadn't eaten much over the last 24 hours, its a very long trip and they were exhausted upon getting home around noon. Their answering machine was blipping with multiple messages left from the 'IRS' saying registered notification letters had been returned and they owed $25k due, ... Are you ready.. By 5PM the day he got home. While she was upstairs he rushed out.

He had called them, talked to many people and was threatened that if not paid by end of day they would take his home, freeze his accounts, etc, etc. they explained that he'd have to go to western union with a cell phone and they would explain what to do. Being overtired, hungry, worn-out and confused he said ok. He didn't doesn't have a cell phone so he dropped by and asked my wife if he could use hers for a short time and she being a nice person said ok and gave it to him. The people on the phone told him to do this btw.

A few minutes later his wife came over very worried. Until this point we didn't know what was going on. Anyways after she explained I grabbed my keys and we ran out the door to catch him. First stop was the bank where the attendant actually gave him a large sum of cash and had simply warned him about scams. We spoke to the branch manager who had been talking to the cashier as we came in who said he had just left to go to WalMart to send the money.

We never did catch up to him but thankfully he wasn't able to send any money and had returned home. He was VERY confused and upset at this point. I sat down and had tea with them while she further explained some of the calls and I looked over his notes. It was obviously a scam without any doubt. Their phone was ringing so much I took it off the hook. They called and left dozens of messages on my wife's phone. I explained to him ad even went to the IRS website and printed off this exact scam to help him understand and that there was no risk to him or his wife from the actual IRS.

Later that evening my wife's phone rang again and I answered it this time. It was them. I explained that my father was sleeping and if I could help them. They continued the act. Even calling me out on my English as they were from India and I'm from Canada. They stated the case would be turned over to their legal department at this point. I said that was great and requested the Case Number so we could follow up in the morning with a local IRS branch in person. They actually gave me a case number.. That was the last call we received from them.

We of course called the IRS the following day inquiring about the case number, which of course didn't exist, and to report the incident.

If you have family who live on their own and might be getting up there in age please talk to them about this stuff. It's very easy to take advantage of them at times.

My neighbors are great people. I felt sorry for them over the situation and he and I have talked about it a few times since. Looking back he couldn't believe he was going to send money. They dropped off cookies and thank you packages and even a mailed card thanking us for our help. It was nice but I certainly didn't do it for that. I was just glad that I could help and was very thankful they didn't loose any money.

TwistedKarma

• Administrator
  • Life Member
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 08:37:42 PM »
   so, i'm not getting the million they promised? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
Just trying to survive in the second Great Deprssion.

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 11:12:20 PM »
   so, i'm not getting the million they promised? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Was it promised on a gentleman's handshake? If so its gotta be honored and I'm sure you will.  ;D

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 01:01:53 PM »
one year since last comment
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Vietnam Era Veteran
Kent County
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my Gun

kent

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 01:17:07 PM »
Phone rang and Caller ID says "Virginia, 703-272-4699". Recording says "This is the IRS and you or your Legal Council need to call us immediately or we threaten to take legal action. I am Officer Nicky Johnson and can be reached at our hot line 585-743-1544".
I called the Attorney Generals office and was referred to the Federal Trade Commission 877-382-4357. The gentleman took my info and said this is going on everywhere and to just hang-up. He said the IRS does business ONLY by mail (USPS). This happened Friday morning 3/13.
NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER
DSSA LIFE MEMBER
KENT COUNTY

robberbaron

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 10:05:58 PM »
I have had 2 of those calls in the last week. Left on voicemail, but very threatening. What is worse is my accountant called over the weekend and my federal tax return was not accepted online as someone had already used my ss# on a earlier return. Total nightmare. I have had to shut down my credit at the reporting agencies, file a complaint with the FTC, contact my credit monitoring service to be extra vigilant and download and fill out a special form that will need to be attached to my return that must be printed and mailed with proof of my identity.

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 02:44:42 PM »
Got a call a few days ago from the "IRS" , genius Response Scam, The real IRS doers not make recorded phone calls, they have to contact you by US mail in writing and signed by an IRS official that can be verified.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Vietnam Era Veteran
Kent County
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my Gun