Author Topic: CREDIT CARD SCAM  (Read 11144 times)

kent

CREDIT CARD SCAM
« on: September 04, 2015, 12:31:51 PM »
Wife's CC got scammed and they went to Hanover Md. (probably outlets, J. Crew) but the card was declined.
She last used the card at Royal Farms on Rt. 10 Camden. Just saying and not blaming.

From now on we are going to purchase gas cards.
NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER
DSSA LIFE MEMBER
KENT COUNTY

groundgrid

• Life Member
Re: CREDIT CARD SCAM
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 03:28:27 AM »
Gas stations are a high risk location for credit card theft. I have gotten hit twice in NJ. Fortunately, AMEX's computer system caught it automatically both times. The second time they called me within 15 minutes after I left the gas station. Apparently, there aren't many cars that will take 15 gal of gas followed by 80 gal of diesel fuel.

Both times the card was given to an attendant who cloned it. As a result, I always use the pump scanners. In NJ I keep a very close eye on the card. Scammers will slide it into their pocket to scan it. I highly recommend dealing with AMEX. They have a very sophisticated computer system. All charges are now sent to my phone where I can instantly disapprove them. Whenever I'm out shopping or traveling somewhere I'll check the charges before heading home. In addition any "card not present" transactions are texted to me. When I buy something online my phone will ding within seconds.

It's all a big pain but better than trying to clean up the mess a few weeks later.
Here’s the real issue: when your religion is government, and government is god, you cannot tolerate any other God before it
(The reason why Liberal/Progressives have waged a war on Christianity)

rikwick

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 11:55:42 AM »
Last year my wife was walking at the park that is on Rt 40 across from Troop 2.  When she came back to the car, the window was busted out and her pocketbook was stolen.   Police said it was the third time in two weeks.  The first place the thief went was two gas stations with her cc.  I went to the stations, and of course no cameras.  I figured someone was sitting in the parking lot and watching women leave their car.  So two days later I sat in the parking lot and watched a guy just sitting in his truck.  He kept looking at me, and I was looking at him.  After about 15 minutes he got out, put on his combat boots and some type of metal weights around his hands, right across his knuckles, and started walking.  That's when I checked out his truck, which looked like he was living in it.  He saw me, and ran up on me, yelling at me.  So I told him my car was broken into, and that he looked suspicious and that the weights across his hands looked perfect for busting out a window.   Told him I took a picture of him and his truck and left it at that.  I'm not sure if it was the best thing to do, but I was was really hot!  I have no tolerance for a thief.   

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 02:27:07 PM »
Gas stations are a high risk location for credit card theft. I have gotten hit twice in NJ. Fortunately, AMEX's computer system caught it automatically both times. The second time they called me within 15 minutes after I left the gas station. Apparently, there aren't many cars that will take 15 gal of gas followed by 80 gal of diesel fuel.

Both times the card was given to an attendant who cloned it. As a result, I always use the pump scanners. In NJ I keep a very close eye on the card. Scammers will slide it into their pocket to scan it. I highly recommend dealing with AMEX. They have a very sophisticated computer system. All charges are now sent to my phone where I can instantly disapprove them. Whenever I'm out shopping or traveling somewhere I'll check the charges before heading home. In addition any "card not present" transactions are texted to me. When I buy something online my phone will ding within seconds.

It's all a big pain but better than trying to clean up the mess a few weeks later.
It amazes me that New Jersey considers is citizens and visitors to be too brilliant to do something as routine as pump their own gas.
Maybe a lawsuit against the gAs stations for having dishonest staff might change things.
DE PA VA AZ FL ccw. NRA Life Member.

For slavery fled, O glorious dead, When you fell in the foggy dew.

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 04:04:32 AM »
It amazes me that New Jersey considers is citizens and visitors to be too brilliant to do something as routine as pump their own gas.
Maybe a lawsuit against the gAs stations for having dishonest staff might change things.

They of course say it isn't as such. Instead it's job creation providing income to employees fueling your vehicle. I lived in NJ for 14 years and pumped my own fuel most of the time if I had to wait more then a couple seconds at the pump.

I also own a couple classic cars and well... they don't touch my classic cars.

In 14 years I had exactly one pump attendant tell me I couldn't fill up my car on my own. That day I had 68 Shelby and simply laughed at the guy telling him it was his bosses loss. I pullout out, crossed the street to the pumps there and filled up giving him a wave of the hand.

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 03:11:46 PM »
Job well done RikWick. I would have done the same thing, right or wrong.
New Castle County