Author Topic: BANK OF AMERICA CREDIT CARD GOT HIT  (Read 10370 times)

kent

BANK OF AMERICA CREDIT CARD GOT HIT
« on: August 04, 2015, 07:16:48 PM »
Received a call from B. of A. notifying me of a possible credit card theft. It was an automated call. I hung up and called the number on the back of my card (didn't want to give personal info to automated caller). They bought Shoes and Airline tickets out of Johannesburg South Africa for almost $700. B. of A. took care of it and sending a new card. B. of A. was very quick to respond.
From now on will be using PAYPAL.
NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER
DSSA LIFE MEMBER
KENT COUNTY

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
Re: BANK OF AMERICA CREDIT CARD GOT HIT
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 07:31:23 PM »
Paypal is worse... if you have a disputed charge on there, it's a nightmare.
Stick with regular credit cards (NOT debit).
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

kent

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 08:40:32 PM »
Thanks, geek

I have heard this before. This is why I'm sharing. Now I know why Bank of America has 4,000 employees in Wilmington Del.
NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER
DSSA LIFE MEMBER
KENT COUNTY

robberbaron

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 12:39:29 AM »
No more debit cards for me since I was hacked at Walmart.com for a laptop that was to be delivered to Indiana a few years back. Fortunately, I monitor all accounts daily for suspicious activity. Credit cards won't drain a checking account.

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 12:59:31 AM »
No more debit cards for me since I was hacked at Walmart.com for a laptop that was to be delivered to Indiana a few years back. Fortunately, I monitor all accounts daily for suspicious activity. Credit cards won't drain a checking account.

Exactly.
We have debit cards for personal accounts, and for my business checking, but the only time we use them is to slide them into our own bank's ATM -- the one inside the supermarket, so it would be really hard for criminals to install a skimmer on it -- to make deposits or a (rare) cash withdrawal. We never use a debit card to buy anything, so the card numbers and expiration dates are kept secret in our wallets.

We've had half a dozen credit card numbers hacked in the last few years: one from the 2014 Target hack, another from the Home Depot hack, and others from unknown sources. Each time, my wife spotted some unusual purchase when she was checking the cards online, and we contacted the card issuer right away. Our net loss: zero.
If our checking account had been hit, even temporarily, for the amounts involved, other payments would have bounced. Nobody reimburses for that, so it could have been an expensive mistake...
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

kent

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 08:00:16 PM »
Just curious, anyone have Lifelock protection
NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER
DSSA LIFE MEMBER
KENT COUNTY

robberbaron

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 10:03:31 PM »
I tried Lifelock for a year and wasn't impressed. They completely ignored and improperly filed judgement against me that cost me a credit card. The financial people I listen to generally don't recommend any of the credit monitoring or insurance services. Since then, I have been hacked 3 times (not with Lifelock) and have shut down my credit at the 3 credit bureaus. That is about the most anyone can do. Unfortunately, the crooks and hackers are getting more sophisticated and stopping them will be tough. I am happy not appearing on the radar for now.

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2015, 01:24:39 AM »
OGG is absolutely correct! A credit card is the most secure and safest way to buy or pay for things. You are fully protected these days from fraud with using a credit card. There are a number of Federal Acts which protect the user.

I've had Discover and MC contact me a 15-18 times over the years regarding fraudulent purchases made to my cards. Every single issue with quickly and politely managed with little to do on my end. Mostly just verifying via a quick phone call I didn't make the purchases and they remove the charges then ship out replacement cards.

We've even found charges on my bill that slipped by which I hadn't made. Quick call to the number on the back of the card, ask for the fraud department, explain the situation and done. They remove the charges right away and give you the new balance.. We pay them off every month.

Was out of the country twice when receiving the calls from MC and required it while there. Both times they said to continue using the card until the new ones were received. They overnighted (still took 2 days due to Customs) one card as I had just arrived on one trip and the other shipped home as I was leaving the next day.

PayPal... Just don't! It's not Credit and you have none of the protection. I know people who have lost 10s of 1000s of dollars using PayPal! Never leave money in your account after receiving a payment either. We do use PayPal a bit however we always make payment via an attached credit card. While you are required to open a fraud report via PayPal first before contacting the credit card company, you still have that option if PayPal doesn't doesn't side with you. They are much better these days however I like the protection of the credit cards.

Debit... Today you have more protection then before however you still only have short time periods to report fraudulent activity. There is absolutely zero monitoring aside from you logging in every single day to check if your money is still in your account. Depending on the time passed since the fraud you may only get a percentage of your money back! Most banks will actually tell you to use a credit card ver the debit cards.

Btw... That Visa/Debit card from the bank is NOT a credit card and you do not have the Credit protection of a true credit card. Many people don't understand this. The Visa logo simply means it's accepted everywhere Visa is.

seniorgeek

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2015, 11:15:22 PM »
Totally agree with @Adrenolin. Credit cards are the way to purchase just about everything. I also have had fraudulent charges and my card replaced with no hassle.
I highly recommend using MC or VISA for all your purchases. One word of caution be sure to p[ay off your bill each month so you don't incur finance charges. If you can't pay it off each month don't buy it! 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NRA Member
Combat Veteran
Southeastern Sussex County

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2015, 02:40:34 PM »
I have never had a debit card and never will. They are just too unsafe. I use a AAA Visa and get money back every month on the gas charged on it. I use credit cards for almost everything, then I only have to write 1 check a month to pay the total. Seldom carry any amount of cash. I am a firm believer in, if a business won't take my credit card, I won't do any business with them. A businessman that won't take credit cards is a fool.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Vietnam Era Veteran
Kent County
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my Gun