Author Topic: Sig P238  (Read 2697 times)

AudiQ

Sig P238
« on: July 25, 2016, 11:47:56 PM »
I picked up a Sig P238 at a Gunbroker auction recently. Sports model which comes with some nice features, Hogue grips, Sig lite night sites, 7 round extended mag, two 6 round flush mags and hard case. The front site is a combo tritium/fiber optic unit which glows brightly in any lighting condition. The rear site is tritium. The gun is black, Nitron as Sig calls it, with nickle plated slide release, safety, mag release button and studs for a handsome contrast. It's a mini 1911 at first glance with similar manual of arms and single action trigger. The trigger is hinged, not a straight back pull like full sized 1911s. It has a crisp break, not too stiff or too light.

The gun fits my hand comfortably and disappears in a front pocket of dress pants or cargo shorts with a sticky type holster. The extended mag gives my pinky a place to rest while firing, but I shoot it almost as well with the flush mag. It's an up close and personal type of gun, but very accurate out to 7 yards for me with either mag.

One rack of the slide and the Sig quality is evident. The safety is somewhat stiff but I expect that to ease a bit with some use. The Hogue grips soak up some of the reduced recoil from a .380 round. My very petite wife likes the soft recoil and easy racking slide. She is fairly new to shooting but put 6 of her first 7 rounds in the red at 5 yards and wants to shoot this one lots more. I am a blessed man.

I shot this out of the box with a quick cleaning and no adjustments needed. The sites were dead on.

One con tho, the site picture is very tight with little daylight on either side of the front site when on target. I think the rear site could have a wider notch with the TFO front site, but that is a minor gripe, at least for me.

I have put 150 rounds of UMC, Freedom and Herters, all 100 grain through it with no issues. It is easy to take down, clean and reassemble.
Overall I like this P238 a lot. Even better, she likes it a lot.

Endeavor to persevere