Author Topic: IRS scam  (Read 49852 times)

PPScarry

• Life Member
  • del ccdw license holder - NRA member
IRS scam
« on: February 03, 2016, 04:04:28 PM »
They are back at it. A year or two ago I had a guy with a mid east accent call and said there was a tax warrant against me. I told him where he could get off but he kept calling me a few more times and hung up right away when he heard my voice. The things I said to that "fig eater trying to find reverse in a Russian tank (big Lebowski quote)" is embarrassing and won't get me into heaven.

Let me make it perfectly clear. The IRS DOES NOT call you at home EVER. You have to call them first. Watch out.
"There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. "
Noah Webster
 American Lexicographer

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
Re: IRS scam
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 04:34:27 PM »
Got a couple of those calls about six months back. Told him that the IRS doesn't telephone and that I didn't have a tax problem. "The police are coming within 30 minutes to arrest you!".
Scared one of my granddaughters enough for her to call the family in tears thinking that she was in real trouble. Vultures!
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

PPScarry

• Life Member
  • del ccdw license holder - NRA member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 02:01:09 AM »
That is upsetting. SOB's!
"There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. "
Noah Webster
 American Lexicographer

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 09:56:54 AM »
I drove our older neighbor all over the place last year looking for her husband who'd received these calls and threats. Thankfully he hadn't sent any of the money orders  :o

topper

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 08:45:52 PM »
I just got a call from the IRS today...sort of. The caller ID was a private number! I wanted to call them back, but I didn't have a pen close by to copy the number to call. I wanted to have a little fun. Seeing Cbmarine's post inspired me.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms…disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes…

USAF Vietnam Era Veteran
Army National Guard
Civil Air Patrol
NRA Life Time Member
DE CCW
PA CCW

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 09:06:43 PM »
I received a text today from "Bank of America" indicating my card was put on hold. Click here and follow three easy steps to restore your card. Neither the website or the phone number were associated with BofA. I didnt click it, but i did a search for it.
New Castle County

topper

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 09:17:32 PM »
I just got a call from the IRS today...sort of. The caller ID was a private number! I wanted to call them back, but I didn't have a pen close by to copy the number to call. I wanted to have a little fun. Seeing Cbmarine's post inspired me.

I got a second call from them. I had pen and paper ready and copied it down. I called back, and when they finally picked up I asked to have my number taken off the call list. After a few moments, she hung up on me! I had so much more to say. I thought there would be more of a fight.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms…disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes…

USAF Vietnam Era Veteran
Army National Guard
Civil Air Patrol
NRA Life Time Member
DE CCW
PA CCW

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 10:47:08 PM »
Nobody calls you from the IRS, they must contact you by US Mail. Unless you call them first and request a call back. So if you get a call such as the commenter got (and I have) I just ignore them. If they want me, I'm sure they can find me.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Vietnam Era Veteran
Kent County
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my Gun

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2016, 11:02:47 PM »
Talking to these people is a waste of time.  Asking to be removed from their list is a waste of time.  These folks are already breaking the law, so they are not interested in your wishes.

Your best defense is currently to continue adding their numbers to your call-block system.

As far as the "bank" callers, or anyone else who you may actually have business with -- if you get receive a call and think that it may be real, call the institution directly.  If your account  has actually been compromised, as soon as you plug in your account number -- they'll most likely already be automatically transferring you to the appropriate department.

A few weeks ago I read an article where people were being asked to pay their IRS bills with iTunes cards.  I guess that I am equally concerned about the amount of people who are making a living scamming others -- AND the amount of people out there who seem to have left their common sense in a shopping cart at the store.
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2016, 02:20:07 AM »
Phone calls... nope. I rarely answer my cell phone when it rings and the house phone??? The base is plugged in but I don't think a phone unit has been around in 3-4 years now! All calls to the house line go directly to voicemail which is then emailed to me receivable on my cell, tablet, laptop or PC.

I am a social anti-social individual.  ;D

Sinker

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2016, 12:03:29 PM »
It's a numbers game, I'm sure.  99.9% of the population won't fall for the scam, but they only need one.  Unfortunately, it's most likely the elderly that will fall for it. 

My mom is 85 and pretty savvy, but no matter what I say she almost always answers the phone, even when the caller ID says 'unavailable' or 'unknown caller.'  She then tries to have a conversation with the caller explaining why she's not interested in whatever they're selling; or in this case scolding them for trying to scam an old lady. 

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2016, 02:31:42 PM »
All of my land line calls go to a answering machine that request you to leave a massage. I may be sitting right next to the phone, but if you leave a message and I recognize you, I will pick up, if not I ignore the call. In most cases the caller does not leave a message and is cut off. I also have an old style flip cell phone that shows the caller. If I can tell who is calling I will answer, if not I don't and will later check the caller's number on the computer at Whitepages.com to see who it was, in most cases it's a scammer.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Vietnam Era Veteran
Kent County
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my Gun

joep19934

• Life Member
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2016, 08:34:35 PM »
I love Comcast caller I.D. on the TV  ;D
If the caller decides not leave a message or I don't recognize it, ( Goggle comes up spam or scam on lookup ) it gets added to the block call list lol......
18 Day Turnaround
Kent County
NRA Member
DE/PA CCDW permits
BRIDGEVILLE RIFLE & PISTOL CLUB Member
Delaware State Sportsman's Association

topper

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2016, 09:15:31 PM »
Talking to these people is a waste of time.  Asking to be removed from their list is a waste of time.  These folks are already breaking the law, so they are not interested in your wishes.

I believe if they suspect I'm on to them, they aren't going to waste their time on me. I did expect at least a little resistance.  They called twice yesterday. They haven't called back today since our little talk.

USAF Vietnam Era Veteran
Army National Guard
Civil Air Patrol
NRA Life Time Member
DE CCW
PA CCW

NormH3

• Life Member
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2016, 10:35:51 PM »
My elderly father got a call from them. When he told them that he was retired from the IRS, they hung up rather quickly. Karma is good.