Author Topic: Windows scam  (Read 2668 times)

29thInfantry

• Life Member
Windows scam
« on: October 05, 2016, 07:56:46 AM »
I have been getting calls about my windows PC having issues and them wanting me to have them join me in a virtual conference so they can show me what is wrong.  I played along for a few minutes until I got tired of the nonsense and let him know I knew he was just fishing for information. 
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

NormH3

• Life Member
Re: Windows scam
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 12:43:46 PM »
I have been getting calls from the IRS saying that they have been looking for me.

greymas

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 06:53:32 PM »
I had an elderly relative fall for this. Gave access to his system and everything. Good reminder to never give anyone any information over the phone when someone calls.
I downloaded Hiya for my mobile phone and it helps identify scammers. Great app. I also use it to manually look up the numbers which call my land line constantly and it turns out most are in fact scammers/fraudsters. 

RetCapt1994

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 07:55:35 PM »
I have been getting these calls for a couple of years. All the callers have heavy Indian accents. My callerID has shown calls (bogus and non-working) from all parts of the USA. Last month my caller ID displayed my telephone number. First of all Windows does not call folks. My response to these BS calls is very aggressive and with very obscene and racist language. I usually ask them what kind of weather are they having in Mumbai. I asked one guy if the dot on his wife's forehead opened the garage door or turned on the TV. Hey I did not invite these people to call my home and invade my privacy. I just wish the Gov't would do something about it. We know that will not happen because the companies owned and operated by people that contribute to the politicians.
Glock Armorer - Tavor Level One Armorer
It is all about bullet placement                          Carry permits, de ccw,pa ccw and leosa/hr218  DELAWARE SUCKS----THE WORST STATE

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 10:08:03 PM »
My solution is this. I do not have voice mail on my cell phone, and on my land line I have a message recorder. When you call my house and you don't leave a message you are cut off. If I do hear you leaving a message and I recognize your voice I will pick-up. If not I just listen and delete the caller. On my cell phone, it will record a "missed call" and I just check to see who called and again if I don't know the caller, I just delete it.
My landline greeting message says to leave a name and number, if you don't you will never reach me, on the other hand if you do, I may still not respond to your call if I don't know you.

Note to Telemarketers: I have never in my life bought or ordered anything from a phone caller. So if you are going to call me and tell me I won a trip or contest, I never entered, you can take the long trip off a short pier.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Vietnam Era Veteran
Kent County
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my Gun