Author Topic: driving through Maryland  (Read 10629 times)

NormH3

• Life Member
Re: driving through Maryland
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2017, 09:42:06 PM »
I took a route last week that was supposed to not take us through MD but it was like a 2 second lull when the GPS stated welcome to pa, welcome to md,  welcome to pa.  I will admit my but hole clenched up for that 2 seconds.  Noted that route and will avoid.

We were heading to Lancaster and turned left on Cleveland went past the car dealers made a right at the end and followed that straight up.  Next time we will go up Kirkwood further and go left on 72 this will not take you near the MD border. 

When on 896 north you enter Maryland for a hundred yards or so before you enter Pa. It's "The Wedge"

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2017, 10:00:30 PM »
I took a route last week that was supposed to not take us through MD but it was like a 2 second lull when the GPS stated welcome to pa, welcome to md,  welcome to pa.  I will admit my but hole clenched up for that 2 seconds.  Noted that route and will avoid.

We were heading to Lancaster and turned left on Cleveland went past the car dealers made a right at the end and followed that straight up.  Next time we will go up Kirkwood further and go left on 72 this will not take you near the MD border. 

When on 896 north you enter Maryland for a hundred yards or so before you enter Pa. It's "The Wedge"

I must admit that I drive through that spot armed quite often. Just make sure you don't have an accident at the intersection there...
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

DE Tom

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2017, 09:02:22 AM »
My family also had a MD cop jump out in front of us on 95 , point his finger had at the pack,  cars skidding all over the place, we started to pull over then they screamed and waved us to keep going??? They are nuts

JKRight

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2017, 03:49:28 PM »
I belong to a club in MD and have a Jeep Wrangler - no trunk.  I lock all my guns in their cases with a steel cable and the ammo separately, in a locked ammo can.  I do not keep my magazines loaded, as there is differing opinions of the magazines being part of the rifle.  I think Radnor's correspondence is great, but I play it safe, rather than sorry.  I keep all the locked boxes as far back against the tailgate as possible.  Good luck with your research and safe travels.

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2017, 07:56:12 PM »
On Saturday evening, I put my equipment in the trunk before driving through the 896 Wedge.  Even though it is only a quarter mile, I'm not willing to risk a felony.  Given the rep of MD LEOs, I'd expect them to paraphrase the UCMJ while snapping on the cuffs. Waiting impatiently for National Reciprocity.
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2017, 11:53:56 PM »
Chambers Rock Road.   Use it.
DE PA VA AZ FL ccw. NRA Life Member.

For slavery fled, O glorious dead, When you fell in the foggy dew.

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2017, 09:12:47 PM »
Not too long ago we were stopped by MD troopers. The excuse was "interdiction program".  They asked if we had any contraband such as drugs, weapons or bulk tobacco products. Then ran our plates and told us the vehicle was reported as stolen. After a lecture on how we need to contact DE DMV he let us go.  When we called DMV they said that the MD troopers are always pulling that crap.

An amazingly beautiful state but poison fruit.  Just like Jersey.
That's a tough one.  If you have a gun even if carried legally, and say yes they may want to search the car. Of course this would be refused but they may take the position that the presence of a gun gives them the right. I would bet you would at least hAve the gun confiscated and probably spend the night in jail.

On the other hand if you say no, and they search anyway, would be charged with obstruction of justice.  

Best to avoid that state.  

I have traveled throughout the USA and compared to other states I do not find Maryland all that beautiful except the bay, eastern shore and the mountains. Rest of it is pretty mundane suburban sprawl not worth seeing.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 09:14:33 PM by Clarence »
DE PA VA AZ FL ccw. NRA Life Member.

For slavery fled, O glorious dead, When you fell in the foggy dew.

seniorgeek

• Life Member
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2017, 11:17:16 PM »
Clarence you are correct about Maryland. I work there on weekends (College tennis official) in the spring so it make it difficult to travel.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NRA Member
Combat Veteran
Southeastern Sussex County

NormH3

• Life Member
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2017, 12:37:12 AM »
Not too long ago we were stopped by MD troopers. The excuse was "interdiction program".  They asked if we had any contraband such as drugs, weapons or bulk tobacco products. Then ran our plates and told us the vehicle was reported as stolen. After a lecture on how we need to contact DE DMV he let us go.  When we called DMV they said that the MD troopers are always pulling that crap.

An amazingly beautiful state but poison fruit.  Just like Jersey.
That's a tough one.  If you have a gun even if carried legally, and say yes they may want to search the car. Of course this would be refused but they may take the position that the presence of a gun gives them the right. I would bet you would at least hAve the gun confiscated and probably spend the night in jail.

On the other hand if you say no, and they search anyway, would be charged with obstruction of justice.  

Best to avoid that state.  

I have traveled throughout the USA and compared to other states I do not find Maryland all that beautiful except the bay, eastern shore and the mountains. Rest of it is pretty mundane suburban sprawl not worth seeing.

I'm not sure what the fuss is all about. There are people from Delaware that use the Elk Neck range all the time.

563jack

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2017, 11:18:44 PM »
Playing the devil's advocate, what would happen if you were stopped in Md while you had your loaded EDC in the vehicle. LEO asks if you have any weapons in the car and you reply with no sir I have no reason to do that. I'm not one of those gun nuts. As long as you don't do something to make LEO suspicious, you're home free. Maybe one of those support your local Sheriff bumper sticker would help also.

I would never give LEO permission to search my vehicle. If they want to search it they need to get a court order and be very specific on what they are looking for and the reason for the search. Now I wouldn't tell them that but I would exercise my rights to the best of my ability.  Your other option is to cave and become a felon.

NormH3

• Life Member
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2017, 12:48:21 AM »
Playing the devil's advocate, what would happen if you were stopped in Md while you had your loaded EDC in the vehicle. LEO asks if you have any weapons in the car and you reply with no sir I have no reason to do that. I'm not one of those gun nuts. As long as you don't do something to make LEO suspicious, you're home free. Maybe one of those support your local Sheriff bumper sticker would help also.

I would never give LEO permission to search my vehicle. If they want to search it they need to get a court order and be very specific on what they are looking for and the reason for the search. Now I wouldn't tell them that but I would exercise my rights to the best of my ability.  Your other option is to cave and become a felon.

Just make sure your lawyer is licensed to practice in Maryland.

airman1968

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2017, 08:50:18 PM »
If you are just driving thru Maryland why wouldn't to just do it as per FOPA until you pass thru? It's not worth the consequences. I traveled to Tennesse a few weeks ago and did that then armed myself after passing thru.
U.S. Air Force Vietnam Veteran
CCDW Delaware, CCW from Ut,Fl,Az,Ma.
NRA Life member
Life Member VFW
Life Member DAV

PPScarry

• Life Member
  • del ccdw license holder - NRA member
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2017, 10:47:55 PM »
All you have to do is not stop for any reason.
"There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. "
Noah Webster
 American Lexicographer

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2017, 01:29:28 AM »
I just road through MD heading west today. Handgun in one pannier with mags and ammo in the other. I did stop once for gas but I’m camping in WV near Morgantown tonight. South tomorrow then Kentucky for the next week before heading home. Might right north through Ohio and PA for my trip home.

[attachment deleted by admin]

lynch

• Life Member
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2017, 09:01:52 AM »
I just road through MD heading west today. Handgun in one pannier with mags and ammo in the other. I did stop once for gas but I’m camping in WV near Morgantown tonight. South tomorrow then Kentucky for the next week before heading home. Might right north through Ohio and PA for my trip home.

I did pretty much the same thing when I visited the Monongahela NF back in June. I ride in a 2 passenger vehicle so it was 2 Stack-ons cabled to my seat frame with handgun and empty mags in one and ammo in the other. I agree you should follow FOPA guidlines. Stop only for food and bathroom  while in MD.
DE ccdw
PA  LTCF
Utah CFP
NRA member