Author Topic: SKS  (Read 3472 times)

563jack

SKS
« on: November 20, 2017, 09:35:15 PM »
I just picked up a SKS (7.62 x 39) for a real nice price, all of the serial numbers matched and it had the bayonet attached to it. While talking to a older vet he mentioned that bayonets were illegal. The rifle has the bayonet connected as part of the gun and folds under the barrel. I googled if bayonets were legal but I couldn't find anything on the subject and most of what I found said it depends on what state you live in. Is anyone aware of any federal or state laws concerning bayonets?

greymas

Re: SKS
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 02:22:35 AM »
You can buy SKS' at Cabelas. All I have seen have the bayonet attached.

joep19934

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 03:46:47 AM »
Bayonets are legal to own.
Bayonets were illegal with the 1994 Assault Weapons ban - http://davekopel.org/2A/LawRev/rational.htm
That ban was over in 9-13-2004.
If I'm correct the Vet is misinformed.
Glad bayonets are legal only because myself and a bunch of other Black Friday shoppers got one free with a purchase of a Mosin a couple years back!
Cabelas was giving them away like candy.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 12:41:18 AM by joep19934 »
18 Day Turnaround
Kent County
NRA Member
DE/PA CCDW permits
BRIDGEVILLE RIFLE & PISTOL CLUB Member
Delaware State Sportsman's Association

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 12:31:00 PM »
Bayonets were illegal with the 1994 Assault Weapons ban - http://davekopel.org/2A/LawRev/rational.htm
The AWB banned the bayonet lug. 

And if you ever listen to Ol Crazy Joe on how successful the AWB was.  The manufactures just complied with the law as written and those
evil black guns were still being sold!!!  (A minor point crazy Joe does not mention)
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor, CRSO
Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In The Home,
Personal Protection Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety,
and Reloading

Also offer Delaware CCDW training.  PM me for details.

Tonym

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 08:25:36 PM »
They may still be illegal under some other state's laws but theyre fine in DE

563jack

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 09:40:13 PM »
Hey guys thanks for the response. I kind of got the idea the vet was referring to the AWB and knowing it was repealed, I was not aware it also included bayonets. I'm glad I can keep it as it is because it does look bad @@@ with that big old dagger on the end. Can't wait to take it to the range to set up the sites. I would post a picture but I don't know how. Any suggestions?

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 11:42:55 PM »
I just picked up a SKS (7.62 x 39) for a real nice price, all of the serial numbers matched and it had the bayonet attached to it. While talking to a older vet he mentioned that bayonets were illegal. The rifle has the bayonet connected as part of the gun and folds under the barrel. I googled if bayonets were legal but I couldn't find anything on the subject and most of what I found said it depends on what state you live in. Is anyone aware of any federal or state laws concerning bayonets?
The 1994-2004 so called Assualt Weapons Ban only banned bayonet lugs on imported or newly manufactured rifles that had a detachable magazine.  It did not affect weapons previously owned at all.  The SKS was not affected unless it was modified to have a detachable magazine. Bayonets themselves were never restricted.

On the affected rifles grenade launchers and threaded barrels for flash suppressors were also banned. You will have to ask "crazy uncle Joe" how many lives were saved by those and the bayonet lug ban.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 11:48:06 PM by Clarence »
DE PA VA AZ FL ccw. NRA Life Member.

For slavery fled, O glorious dead, When you fell in the foggy dew.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 11:37:30 AM »
NONE!  The were STILL being sold WITHOUT the banned features.
Been there, done that, and purchased one DURING the ban.

But sadly, it was lost in my boating accident....
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor, CRSO
Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In The Home,
Personal Protection Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety,
and Reloading

Also offer Delaware CCDW training.  PM me for details.

lynch

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2017, 11:10:23 AM »
NONE!  The were STILL being sold WITHOUT the banned features.
Been there, done that, and purchased one DURING the ban.

But sadly, it was lost in my boating accident....

I visit several forums of the shooting/bushcraft/outdoors variety, and they all have stories about guns lost because of boating accidents. ::)
DE ccdw
PA  LTCF
Utah CFP
NRA member

Sinker

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2017, 02:32:40 PM »
I think the chainsaw modification is currently still legal as well (for now!).

joep19934

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2017, 12:51:33 AM »
I think the chainsaw modification is currently still legal as well (for now!).

Don't knock it they are awesome in Xbox GOW !

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 12:41:37 AM by joep19934 »
18 Day Turnaround
Kent County
NRA Member
DE/PA CCDW permits
BRIDGEVILLE RIFLE & PISTOL CLUB Member
Delaware State Sportsman's Association

563jack

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2017, 11:54:08 PM »
Got to reading a little bit more about SKS rifles and imported rifles and shotguns in general. What I found was that the gun needs to be 922 R compliant. Since I did not modify the rifle in any way shape or form, I am compliant with 922 R. So much for putting on a new Tapco black stock on it. If someone was to change 1 thing, add a muzzle brake, add a scope, change the stock it now becomes non compliant with 922 R. Google 922 R for an explanation because I might get it wrong trying to explain it.
     If you modify an imported rifle or shotgun it can not have more than 10 imported parts on the gun. to include things like the trigger, trigger guard, magazine, piston rods, gas cylinders, and a bunch of other stuff. It's a brilliant rule, no one has been found guilty of it as far as I can tell by reading about it. But I'm sure some yo yo anti-gunner is just waiting for an opportunity to nail someone. I think it might be about buying imported gun parts and building your own gun illegally.
     So if you own an imported rifle or shotgun, don't modify it. If you do modify it make sure you have no more than 10 imported parts on it. Crazy stuff out there but I'm glad I stumbled across this. Boy, would I be upset if I changed out the stock and got nailed at the range for a non 922 R compliant gun. I don't want to be the first I would make a terrible poster boy.

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2017, 02:11:37 AM »
Got to reading a little bit more about SKS rifles and imported rifles and shotguns in general. What I found was that the gun needs to be 922 R compliant. Since I did not modify the rifle in any way shape or form, I am compliant with 922 R. So much for putting on a new Tapco black stock on it. If someone was to change 1 thing, add a muzzle brake, add a scope, change the stock it now becomes non compliant with 922 R. Google 922 R for an explanation because I might get it wrong trying to explain it.
     If you modify an imported rifle or shotgun it can not have more than 10 imported parts on the gun. to include things like the trigger, trigger guard, magazine, piston rods, gas cylinders, and a bunch of other stuff. It's a brilliant rule, no one has been found guilty of it as far as I can tell by reading about it. But I'm sure some yo yo anti-gunner is just waiting for an opportunity to nail someone. I think it might be about buying imported gun parts and building your own gun illegally.
     So if you own an imported rifle or shotgun, don't modify it. If you do modify it make sure you have no more than 10 imported parts on it. Crazy stuff out there but I'm glad I stumbled across this. Boy, would I be upset if I changed out the stock and got nailed at the range for a non 922 R compliant gun. I don't want to be the first I would make a terrible poster boy.

That’s the reason that there are numerous aftermarket parts that are made in America.  Also, you will encounter a number of used weapons that were manufactured/imported/purchased to 922, so — those worried about such things may want take notice. 
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."