Author Topic: First night out  (Read 4351 times)

Redden Rooster

First night out
« on: December 23, 2017, 02:04:08 PM »
I just received my permit this past week, 40 days in sussex county. Yesterday was our anniversary so we went out to dinner, went to a couple of jewelry stores and then caught some live music. I had been told that the first time you carry you might feel like a criminal. Nope, didn't happen. At one point in the restaurant, I thought I saw the manager looking my way, no problems though. My wife had a couple of glasses of wine. She had asked if I was gonna have a beer,  I said no. It took her a few minutes to realize why! Had a great night. Glad I felt "normal", not the way some had described it.

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
Re: First night out
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 02:14:59 PM »
Welcome to the "club".   I carry OWB (outside the waistband)   Covering with untucked shirt, sport jacket or  Carhartt vest depending on season or venue.  Never been "outted" going on 3 1/2 years.

DE PA VA AZ FL ccw. NRA Life Member.

For slavery fled, O glorious dead, When you fell in the foggy dew.

joep19934

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 06:25:02 PM »
Welcome to the Forum & Congrats  ;D
18 Day Turnaround
Kent County
NRA Member
DE/PA CCDW permits
BRIDGEVILLE RIFLE & PISTOL CLUB Member
Delaware State Sportsman's Association

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2017, 11:51:57 PM »
Welcome & congrats on both the ccdw & anniversary.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor, CRSO
Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In The Home,
Personal Protection Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety,
and Reloading

Also offer Delaware CCDW training.  PM me for details.

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2017, 01:41:43 AM »
Welcome @redden. Glad that you are comfortable carrying. Stay “Yellow”  or higher as necessary but never get nonchalant. Smart move on the beer.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 03:22:41 AM by Cbmarine »
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

topper

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2017, 08:01:10 PM »
When my wife and I are out, sometimes she'll ask me if I'm getting a drink. I'll say no. Then she will ask me if I have my "tool". When I say yes, she understands.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms…disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes…

USAF Vietnam Era Veteran
Army National Guard
Civil Air Patrol
NRA Life Time Member
DE CCW
PA CCW

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2017, 11:03:11 PM »
You will probably note that you will now go out of your way even more to avoid trouble.  I know I drive a lot more polite and avoid situations.  This is because you must never be the aggressor or even be perceived as such.  Back down, go the other way.  Let the guy cut you off.  Your power is absolutely the last resort. 
DE PA VA AZ FL ccw. NRA Life Member.

For slavery fled, O glorious dead, When you fell in the foggy dew.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2017, 03:14:21 PM »
You will probably note that you will now go out of your way even more to avoid trouble.  I know I drive a lot more polite and avoid situations.  This is because you must never be the aggressor or even be perceived as such.  Back down, go the other way.  Let the guy cut you off.  Your power is absolutely the last resort. 
Very well said.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor, CRSO
Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In The Home,
Personal Protection Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety,
and Reloading

Also offer Delaware CCDW training.  PM me for details.

wbarrall74

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 04:50:40 PM »
Congrats..

I notice that even when I drive I pay more attention to my speed, use turn signals and no more slow rolling stops at stop signs. I think I stop at them but my wife says that Im still rolling a little bit. I dont know who's wrong but Im not telling her she is...lol.. ;D

coolwrld

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2018, 07:29:23 PM »
Welcome to the "club".   I carry OWB (outside the waistband)   Covering with untucked shirt, sport jacket or  Carhartt vest depending on season or venue.  Never been "outted" going on 3 1/2 years.

What's your OWB holster of choice?  I have been doing IWB for the year I've had my permit.  Have an OWB holster from Stealthgear for my Sig P229 but just haven't gotten over the fear of it being OWB.  I mean if my shirt rides up a little from moving unless it goes higher than the waistband I don't have any worries.  Every time I go to do the OWB that thought in the back of my head makes me go back to IWB.

Sorry Rooster didn't mean to hijack your thread.  Glad your first time wasn't awkward.  I did so much research before my first time out I just kept telling myself "no one is looking at you" to keep myself at ease.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 07:31:45 PM by coolwrld »
DE - CCDW Permit Holder
PA - N/R CCDW Permit Holder
NRA Life Member
New Castle County