Author Topic: Question about full size concealed carry  (Read 2275 times)

ptlion

Question about full size concealed carry
« on: June 29, 2018, 08:41:20 PM »
Hey y'all,

My permit app has been submitted and I'm just doing the waiting game.  I currently have a Smith & Wesson SD9VE.  I'm curious to know anyone's experiences, thoughts, etc. on carrying full a full size firearm.  What type of holster do you recommend and is there any techniques on not having the handle show through a shirt? 

Gracias

hap_hazzard

Re: Question about full size concealed carry
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 09:55:44 PM »
Sounds like you are concerned about “printing “. Most ppl will not even notice. Those who do are probably carrying as well. I swap around between full size M&p, compact and shield. For holster I have an alien gear IWB. Some like some don’t. It might take you a bit to find one that works for you. The big recommendation I would make is regardless of what you go with, make sure the trigger is protected. I would not recommend a crazy cheap nylon or even leather holster that can bunch up and actuate the bang button. There is a story out there complete with after effect picture of a fella using a leather holster and now he has two additional holes in his butt. Not to scare you but just somethings to consider.

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 10:52:01 PM »
I have carried a Ruger SR9 for years. I use a Pro-Carry Deep Comfort Holster by theholsterstore.com , and have used it for 6 years now. It's leather, no Kydex for me. Works great for me. I like to use a plaid or print button up full cut shirt for cover as it defuses any printing. I wear a tank type undershirt in the summer so I don't get sweat on my gun. Be careful, a lot of shirts are tailored and just won't work.
Good luck.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 10:55:36 PM by SturmRugerSR9 »
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Vietnam Era Veteran
Kent County
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my Gun

greymas

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 03:36:29 AM »
I carry a Sig P229C. Although the C stand for carry I consider it closer to a full size gun. The barrel length is slightly shorter than P229 but it is a thick gun. I got it for appendix carry since it's DA/SA. I feel like the 10LB trigger pull on the first round is a little extra insurance. I really like the gun but its thick. After much trial and error I have finally found an appendix position that isn't too uncomfortable. I use a Custom Kydex winged holster with a neoprene wedge. When I took my CCW course I was looking for printing on my instructor and couldn't see a thing. I was surprised when he pulled a full size Beretta M92 out from appendix carry position. That was the first time I saw this method of carry. It's not for everyone. I've gone back and forth on it.

Despite having a bit of a gut, the pistol conceals very well. Even my own family do not notice when I'm carrying. I usually wear t-shirts, no printing. I also have a Stealth Gear IWB mini holster which is nice but I feel like a bit more printing in the 3 o'clock position with this particular gun. Though more comfortable. Next I plan on trying OWB for cool weather carrying.

One thing that made the biggest difference for me was getting a nice belt. I got a Bigfoot Belt extra thick and it made a huge difference. Get a stiff belt if you don't have one.

I've tried several holsters and have re-sold on ebay before settling on Stealth Gear and Custom Kydex. Great service from both.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 01:42:32 PM »
Carry it.  I've been carrying a double stack 45 for a long time.  The public is CLUELESS!
Most are too busy looking at their phones.  Delaware does not have any laws stating you
CANNOT print.  There are some states that have such laws.  I believe FL is one of them.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor, CRSO
Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In The Home,
Personal Protection Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety,
and Reloading

Also offer Delaware CCDW training.  PM me for details.

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2018, 05:03:18 AM »
Another idea is to just START with what you have.  From there, you may change holsters, or positions, or even the firearm.  The only way of knowing what works or doesn’t work for YOU is to try. 
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

Redden Rooster

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2018, 12:37:41 PM »
Radnor is right on. I carry a beretta apx in a owb.  The only person to notice is a friend who knew I carry. Wear a loose button up shirt, all good.

ptlion

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 11:36:06 PM »
I just got my Kydex IWB holster.  I thought I'd have an issue with full size weapon and my acquired gut.  For appendix carry, this is really comfortable and barely prints at all!  Not bad for first try at IWB holsters.  Now I just need my permit and I'm set!!!!

8thFA

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2018, 01:19:23 AM »
I carry a H & K VP9 and no one has a clue.  In the winter I carry a glock 21 (45 ACP), and no one has a clue.  Get a good IWB holster, don't wear a tight shirt and you'll be fine.
US Army veteran
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
NCC

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2018, 02:37:00 AM »
I carry OWB. Loose shirt in summer.  5+ years not “outed” yet.  Much more focused on rapid accessibility than deep concealment.

So called printing is not noticed by the multitude.

DE PA VA AZ FL ccw. NRA Life Member.

For slavery fled, O glorious dead, When you fell in the foggy dew.

topper

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2018, 04:44:49 AM »
I appendix carry a Glock 26, and regularly meet with 2 retired cops at the dog park. They've never said a word about me printing.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms…disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes…

USAF Vietnam Era Veteran
Army National Guard
Civil Air Patrol
NRA Life Time Member
DE CCW
PA CCW