Author Topic: Shotgun: Mossberg "Watchdog"  (Read 10560 times)

Moosie

• Life Member
Shotgun: Mossberg "Watchdog"
« on: June 15, 2010, 05:21:57 PM »
Would love to hear opinions / comments on this shotgun.  A present from me to me. 

"What, Honey?  This ol' thing?  I've had it for years." 

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Knotacare

• NRA Endowment Member VFW Life Member
Re: Shotgun: Mossberg "Watchdog"
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 11:51:13 AM »
Looks kinda like my 500 (which I really like), but rigged for nite shooting. I thing it's probably a decent gun to have beside the bed.
Alan

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 04:42:06 PM »
Yup.  It is in fact a 500 series.

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 10:00:54 PM »
Nice. Mossbergs are great shotguns.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 11:57:16 PM »
Mossbergs won't win any beauty pagents but that 500 action will last your lifetime plus some.
Honey I swear I've had that gun for years!

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 11:18:09 AM »
Taking my "black betty" to the range this weekend with a friend of mine.  Cant wait to finally get a feel for it. 

Oh, any place in particular that sell slugs cheaper than another?

Moosie

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 02:18:52 PM »
Taking my "black betty" to the range this weekend with a friend of mine.  Cant wait to finally get a feel for it. 

Oh, any place in particular that sell slugs cheaper than another?

Moosie
I check the Dick's Sporting Goods ad in the Sunday paper every week, looking for slugs on sale. Sometimes they have good prices, about 80 cents per slug.

If you decide to check it out online,
their Web site is NOT "www dot dicks dot com"
...several of my PC repair customers have learned that the hard way (no pun intended).
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 02:53:39 PM »
Hahahahaha. Dicks and walmart will probably be the best prices. Next time check out cheaper than dirt also
Honey I swear I've had that gun for years!

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 03:01:33 PM »
ROFL!!!  Thanks for the laugh.  I too learned that with my mother in law sitting beside me two years ago when she wanted to see if they carried something on their website.  :)  Nice.

Thanks, I'll check with Dicks and Walmart.

Moosie

muleman88

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 12:22:20 AM »
What do you want slugs for ? Deer hunting? Not sure what your plans are but for a bedroom gun I would go with the buckshot imo. How did you like it at the range?

Pete D.---

• NRA Member
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 04:00:04 PM »
That's a sweet looking shotgun Moosie! How'd it shot for ya?

I have the Mossburg 590 A1 and love it. I wish it had come with that nice light and laser. I added a light, but that's a nice combo. I also added a 6 round side saddle on receiver and 5 round soft cuff-saddle on the opposite side of buttstock- lots of ammo quickly at hand if needed. I have a progressive mix of #4 and 00 buck, and then slugs if I should ever need the extra distance- I live in a brick house which might reduce the over penetration. I don't know though-I'll bet that slug would bust right outta the wall! The #4 Buck seems to be the best choice in my house setting.

I was considering having the first shot be a non-lethal one- like a bean-bag or rubber bullet job, still not sure about that. I'd be interested in hearing what set-up you, or anyone else, settles on. Pete D.---

"This food fights back!" Myke Hawke Peirce

jopy2020

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2013, 02:23:27 AM »
I own the Mossberg 590a1 also and love it. I have owned an 870 for a while but picked up my buddy's 590a1 and just had to have one for myself. I like your idea of adding the non lethal rounds to your mix, at least for inside your home. I usually just keep 00 buck Hornady Critical Defense rounds in mine.
NRA Certified Instructor (Pistol & Rifle)
Sussex County

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 01:44:19 PM »
It appears the safety is more accessible and the fore grip is nicer than the older Mossy’s.
Proud resident of Kent County DE

anjdrifter

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 10:27:50 PM »
you cant beat a mossberg 500  kinda likethe old timex commmercials   it takes a beaten and keeps on ticken......mine is resurrected police mossberg that spent a lot of time in the old fashioned electronic locks on passagenger side of the partrol vehicles..
Sussex county, NRA certified instructor -pistol-rifle- shotgun ,doj approved instructor

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2013, 02:01:49 AM »
Moosie.. I like the shottie.. <- is what my 2.5 year old calls the shotgun. Im not usually one for the special designs but in this case I do like it. That and its a Mossy 500!

I have the 590A1 20" with Ghost-Rings. I removed the 4 round 'speedfeed' stock and replaced it with a BlackHawk Compstock for the reduced recoil.. and it makes a huge difference in shooting. I've had a few days where I've fired off over 150 rounds shooting slugs, 00 and 3" magnums. No purple shoulder or discomfort the following day. Highly recommend this stock if you shoot a lot in each session.

For home defense I stumbled on a large lot of Centurion Multi-Defense Buckshot awhile back and bought it all up. Close to 600 rounds for only 199.00! The boxes were all ripped and torn and deemed to be damaged and they simply wanted rid of them. These are labeled as 2 3/4" shells however made in Spain with the metric system so actual length is 2 3/8". They contain 1 large .650" lead ball which is followed by 6 #1 buckshot pellets. I've tested several hundred at Shooters Choice on the rifle range side and from 15' through to end of range I've found they pattern quite well. Ball and buck always on the mark and seem to keep a decently tight pattern... something I was dubious about when I bought them.

When this is gone I'll likely use the Fiocchi 00 with 9 Nickle Plated pellets. Again nice tight pattern from my smoothbore 20" barrel.

I'd like to get the 18" version of this sometime as well.

Mossberg 590A1 Pr0n : )