Author Topic: where can I find ..  (Read 12820 times)

muleman88

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
where can I find ..
« on: December 05, 2010, 11:43:15 PM »
Delaware rules for where you cant carry? I have been reading ayoob"s book " the gun digest of concealed carry" and it keeps telling me to find out the legal rules for my area. Is this written on the sates website maybe  ???. Since things are subject to change I would like to see it somewhere to follow. Also dosent a sign have to be posted when you cant carry in a place of buisness, such as a store ? I was at a place yesterday that is posted on this site as a no carry area but I looked and their wasnt any signs at the door that I went in. I kept my eyes open but never seen a thing stating I couldnt.

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
Re: where can I find ..
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 01:12:33 AM »
Great questions.
You can find a well-maintained, frequently updated set of the laws of all 50 states here. The Delaware page includes a list of the places where state law says you cannot carry.
However, you are responsible to verify the laws yourself: just because a place isn't listed on a Web site doesn't make it legal. When I have a question, I read the law itself and/or ask my lawyer*.

As for other places, IANAL ("I Am Not A Lawyer") and YMMV ("Your Mileage May Vary"), but I don't think signs at private businesses -- like the crappy little sign at a local movie theater or the "Code of Conduct" at a local shopping mall -- have force of law. My lawyer* agrees: he advises me to leave voluntarily and politely if asked, and assures me that I am unlikely to face criminal prosecution if I ignore fail to notice the signs.

(The "DO NOT ENTER WITH A LOADED GUN" sign at Miller's Guns has, if not force of law, force of arms behind it, so I would suggest you obey that one).

*Speaking of lawyers: who are you going to call? In other words, have you chosen your criminal defense attorney (and does he or she know you have chosen them)?
This is a decision you should make & prepare for today, not at 4AM in the Wawa parking lot.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 01:18:07 AM by oldgraygeek »
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

muleman88

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 01:36:42 AM »
Thanks old grey! The more and more I look for things the more complicated it seems to get. You have convinced me to look for a lawyer. Now I need to find one that is good at dealing with this stuff lol.   

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 03:18:32 PM »
Not that I would ever disobey any posted laws (including the speed limit LOL), but I've been in and out of Target at the Christiana Mall and there are NO signs if you enter through Target....  I mean, this is just my observation. 

:D 

Moosie

Also, just a thought here... if you're concealing properly, no one should ever know that you're carrying in which case it shouldn't be an issue. 
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

muleman88

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 08:48:39 PM »
Not that I would ever disobey any posted laws (including the speed limit LOL), but I've been in and out of Target at the Christiana Mall and there are NO signs if you enter through Target....  I mean, this is just my observation. 

:D 

Moosie

Also, just a thought here... if you're concealing properly, no one should ever know that you're carrying in which case it shouldn't be an issue. 
I agree. Im not a "mall" person but this time of year I tend to stop in . There was a store that had a buzzer when you walk in  :o. I must admit I got a little nervous when I entered and the buzzer went off. I didnt realize what it was for till the next person walked in behind me. lol 

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 09:00:34 PM »
There was a store that had a buzzer when you walk in  :o. I must admit I got a little nervous when I entered and the buzzer went off. I didnt realize what it was for till the next person walked in behind me. lol 

When I first started carrying we were going into Best Buys.  Wife asked if I was going to set "it" off.  I just told her I was carrying a gun, NOT stealing.  I was in KoP mall and one store's anti-theft device kept going off, employees just ignored it.  Which I was glad of. 
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor, CRSO
Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In The Home,
Personal Protection Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety,
and Reloading

Also offer Delaware CCDW training.  PM me for details.

muleman88

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 08:41:16 PM »
So.. are there alarms that get set off at some stores or is it just bad timing/ faulty alarms?

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 01:29:23 AM »
Since we're discussing "no carry" locations, I thought I'd throw a couple comments out to the newer "carriers"....
We all know not to carry in a federal building, but remember that the Post Office is a federal building as well.
They've just changed the law to make carrying legal in National Parks (none yet in De). But if you go in their visitor center or other building....you guesses it.....federal building.

Cheers
Lumspond
New Castle County

muleman88

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 01:56:51 PM »
I thought DE signed reciprical agrement with SC I just checked both DE and SC website ( planing a trip to FL) and DE honors SC  but SC does not honor DE. Whats the deal with that ?

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 03:10:56 PM »
Personally, I think carrying at the post office is a slippery slope.  There is nothing definitive out there saying you can or cant. 

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2010, 09:01:02 PM »
Personally, I think carrying at the post office is a slippery slope.  There is nothing definitive out there saying you can or cant. 

Moosie

I do NOT plan on being a test subject but....  I found an interesting read...
http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/usc.cgi?ACTION=RETRIEVE&FILE=$$xa$$busc18.wais&start=1736700&SIZE=6681&TYPE=TEXT

Sec 930 (d)(3)

There could be other sections I've missed, but...  And IANAL
and Reloading

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2010, 12:11:41 AM »
Neither do I, Radnor.  I'm just saying I think it's a slippery slope as their wording is rather vague and open to interpretation.

Moosie

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2010, 02:13:04 PM »
Sounds to me that if you have a permit then you are lawfuly carrying a firearm.
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2010, 12:45:22 AM »
Well, it's their language of carrying a firearm "while on official business".  That's the slippery slope!  What is their definition of "official"?  Obviously some could interpret it as being there strictly to conduct business with the postal clerk behind the desk, drop a letter in the slot or to retrieve their own mail.  I would think those are all "official" reasons.  But, the argument is in other interpretations such as official meaning those of a police type nature. 

On one forum, I read where a CCW permit holder asked the post master of his post office if he could legally carry concealed in the post office.  The response he got was, "I don't know, I don't care and if you do, I don't want to know".  My guess is that this post master represents 90% of the opinion of them.  But again, I don't want to find out that my post master is the other 10%. 

Moosie

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2010, 01:57:07 AM »
No, this section was what I was referring to:  

(3) the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons
    in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes.
and Reloading